There could be a few reasons why this happens depending on how fast this happens.-
- – There may be a schedule that has been programmed to turn a particular light or group of lights off
- – The lights might be connected to a sensor that you don’t know about that is conflicting with the operation
- – The SWL600BTAM or STS600BTAM has failed. This fast on/ off switching is also the failure mode for these devices
- – You might have a minimum load issue when using a PIXIE SWL350BT or SWL600BTAM
Minimum Load Issue #
The PIXIE SWL350BT and SWL600BTAM / STS600BTAM have a minimum load requirement of 13W. If the load you are controlling is less than this required minimum you will hear the switch operate on and then turn off again.
Likewise if it is turning on and off again quickly you have a minimum load issue.
This is easily fixed by installing the SUPPLIED CAPACITOR across the load and neutral for the affected circuit.
ALL PIXIE SWITCHES ARE PROVIDED THIS CAPACITOR FREE OF CHARGE WITH EVERY DEVICE INSDIE EACH BOX. Whilst they are not always needed, electricians are provided all the necessary elements to make the operate correctly.
Sometimes, depending on the load you may require 2 CAPACITORS.
Note also with IRON CORE transformers, most commonly seen today for garden lighting, you will often require the CAPACITOR installed irrespective of the load under control.
These may also help:
Recommended PIXIE Device for Garden Lights, Pool Lights #
PIXIE recommends use of the PIXIE Dual Relay Controller when wanting to:
- – control garden lighting
- – control pool lighting
- – drive a contactor to drive a larger load
Wherever a larger iron core driver is being used ( > 120VAC ) we recommend using the PIXIE Dual Relay Controller – PC206DR/R/BTAM).
Loads with poor electrical performance will apply additional destructive impact to the switch, beyond its rated capabilities, irrespective of power consumption. This can result on both a shortened lifespan and irreversible damage to this device. The SWL600BTAM & STS600BTAM device is not compatible with devices below this minimum specification:
- POWERFACTOR: < 0.7
- INRUSH: > 24A
PC206DR/R/BTAM IS THE RECOMMENDED PIXIE DEVICE TO SWITCH CONSTANT VOLTAGE LED DRIVERS AND IRON CORE DRIVERS TYPICALLY USED FOR POWERING GARDEN LIGHTS AND LED STRIP TRANSFORMERS.
If you believe you have a minimum load issue, this device will rectify that issue simply and easily.
- – This device has 2 x 6A relays channels, each can be controlled and scheduled separately.
- – This device has NO MINIMUM LOAD requirements, so no installation of capacitors is needed.
- – This is a PIXIE Master device and a PIXIE Booster adding further system benefit.
- – This is more cost effective compared to buying 2 x SWL600BTAM PIXIE smart switches, with higher capacity switching and simpler installation
For control at the wall simply install a PIXIE SMF/BTAS and pair this device to the Dual relay controller.
You can also control this directly from the App, via Voice (when enabled) , via the PIXIE Touch Panel